Many people who get a new Damascus steel or carbon steel knife approach washing their blades with trepidation. Cleaning your knife is very straight forward so no need to fear!
- Lightly rinse it under running water.
- Give it a wipe with a soapy dish sponge.
- Rinse it again and wipe your knife dry.
- Lightly oil using a food safe oil.
- Always store your blade dry.
It's as simple as that!
- Leave the blade resting in water (i.e. the sink)
- Leave the blade in or on a damp towel
- Store in leather
- Wash in the dishwasher
These do not count as wear and tear. They count as negligence and are easy to spot.
While your blade is new, it is still developing a patina. In order to help it along the way and to avoid rust, wipe it down after use and dry it. This blade wants to be used and I take great pride in what I have made you!
Thank you again for your support of my small business and I hope to continue business with you!